Thursday, July 17, 2008

A sleeper, a sleeper! My kingdom for a sleeper.

Howdy there!
So this will probably be my last update before our week break. For anyone interested in my itinerary:

-Leave tomorrow the 18th around midnight to Hohhot, get there in the late morning and take a bus to a yurt camp.

-Ride horses. Drink yak's milk. Sleep in yurt.

-Next day spent around Hohhot, which despite being almost 3 million people I had never heard of before coming here. Again at around midnight board a train back to Tianjin.

-21st: Arrive in Tianjin around noon, take a 1-hour shower since this will be 3 days since showering last. (I bet you wish I left that detail out.) Leave later that night for Xi'an.

-22nd, late afternoon: Arrive in Xi'an after an 18-hour train ride. Eat food then pass out from exhaustion onto a real bed in an actual hotel.

-Stay in Xi'an until Saturday the 26th. Go to one of the five sacred mountains of China. Also see the Terracotta Army.

-Leave the 26th in the afternoon/night to arrive in Tianjin in the morning/afternoon. Start thinking about writing my dumb report.

I am still not sure about bringing my laptop to Xi'an. Basically, if the train has power outlets available it is worth it. If not then probably not. There is also the issue of security. I have my lock and I can also hide it but nothing would really stop a determined thief. If they steal anything though I feel like it would more be about an easy opportunity rather than specifically planning it. That's enough thinking out loud for now.

Not much has happened recently. Today I went to try to find any USA Soccer apparel or anything appropriate really and ended up purchasing a knockoff Lacoste long-sleeve polo for 50 kuai. On the way back I saw a couple military helicopters flying overhead. The taxi driver said something about the Olympics, I think it was some sort of drill or practice.

We have only 8 days of class left, maybe 7. My grades are staying high enough so far for the extra credit to put me at an A. The space free on my external hard drive has plunged from 120 gigabytes starting the summer to 35 right now. The most recent download was the full Land Before Time movie series.

50-60 hours on trains this week. More than 20% of my time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL Land Before Tiem = t3h roxxorz!1!

Remind me to show you a related pic from 4chan if I haven't already.

Hopefully it's obvious who this is.