Sunday, June 1, 2008

Wangji hen zhongyao!

Local holiday here in the Golden Bridge International Hotel as internet (网际) has been restored. The weekend was pretty fun, and mostly consisted of invading a bar or club as a large group of American students. This will probably shock no one, but I can confirm that American songs are still the song of choice for any place catering to young people. Bon Jovi, Linkin Park, Smashmouth; if it is less that 15 or 20 years old and in English it's basically popular. 99 Red Balloons also got a play, as well as some Spanish music. Another nice thing is that since Chinese people absolutely LOVE having English on their t-shirts, it automatically boosts the classiness factor of my wardrobe by 100%. In America, you would probably get weird looks for wearing a regular red t-shirt that says "Wisconsin Football" with a little football design on it to anything more formal than well, a football game. In a fancy hotel bar though, I don't think anyone (Chinese) cared. It may have even earned me bonus points.

I already discussed how milk is fairly expensive here (compared to everything else), but pure services with no associated material resources are ridiculously cheap. A massage, for example: 70 minutes of genuine Tianjin Korean-town massage for $8.50. According to my parental units, a massage of that length will run you at least $70 in the States, and that is apparently for a cheap one. This country is giving me anti-sticker shock at every turn, and it's awesome. A taxi ride, by the way, is never more than $2 from within the city to within the city. I have yet to spot gas prices but will be on the lookout.

No new pictures, but a sweet Engrish line from a pack of Mentos I bought. It's not just word order and grammar, they are pulling up really old-school words. The Mentos I bought are labeled as CHEWY DRAGEES. I'll let you look up that word yourself.

Final word - aforementioned Internet reliability here has been downgraded from awful to Detroit-based-AOL. It went out for more than 30 hours.

No comments: