Monday, May 26, 2008

Christmas already?

The bell that starts passing period isn't a bell at all. It's an awful-quality recording of Silent Night, without any lyrics, and plays for a verse or so. I don't think our teachers know why it's funny.

I also went to the supermarket. Apples were 5 RMB for half a kilo, which is apparently expensive. My tutor recommended it was a lot cheaper to buy them at a market. I'm sure it is, but its also probably got E. coli smeared all over it. Local flavoring I guess. What I did discover is that every printed date is a manfactured date, not a use by date, so the milk I bought was actually bottled (or bagged, I suppose) May 18th. The price by the way, was 10.2 RMB for 12 220ml packets, which seemed cheap but the math bears out that it approaches American prices. It's almost $1.50 for 2.6 liters of milk, which is ~2/3 of a gallon. Add another 50% of the 1.50 and you've got $2.25 for a gallon of milk. Most things in China so far are several times cheaper.

Anyhow, class started yesterday and most of the patterns and some of the characters are review. Not too difficult so far, and class is only for 3.5 hours a day, 30 minutes of which is break, and it's nothing after 5-hour summer school biology from a few years ago.

I bought a pack of playing cards, and I'm not even sure what they were trying to go for here. It's not awful English, but it does leave you wondering.



PS The internet here is AWFUL. It cut out 3 times while writing this and the first time I tried to publish it.

No comments: